Monday, April 11, 2011

My First Buffalo

  I went out yesterday morning for an hour, searching for the site of the original Camden High School, which I knew from light research had been located somewhere behind the existing school on Knowlton Street. The area behind the school is now comprised of three large baseball fields, and that is a lot of ground to cover in a short amount of time. So I picked a small plot of ground, about one hundred square feet, in what seemed to be the most promising parts of each field, and worked them hard. Nothing. Just a bunch a modern clad. I had about ten minutes left when I noticed a large cluster of tall old maples at the far end of the westernmost field. Everything about the spot screamed antiquity; the hundred year old trees, the exposed roots, the roll of land. It was literally the only patch of ground in that vast expanse of ballfields that hadn't been visibly flattened by the machines of man. I looked first under the closest and tallest maple and almost immediately pulled up my first Buffalo nickel. It was extremely worn-out, almost to the point of unrecognizability, but there it was, dammit. I just said about three days ago, "I want to find a Buffalo nickel." Let's try this, "I want to find a pot of gold."

No comments:

Post a Comment