Monday, March 17, 2014

William's Love Token

  So, I got looking a little closer at Uncle Pirate's Treasure and I came across what appeared to be a little seated dime, but with the word "Will" delicately engraved on the rear. I have heard of people carving things into coins, but my knowledge of it was cursory and I had certainly never held one. I threw a photo up on the Metal Detecting Maine forum and the awesome members there schooled me on love tokens. That's right, they are called love tokens and that's basically just what they are. They showed me pics of love tokens with pins on the rear so they could be worn on a coat or blouse or something. There are also things called "hobo nickels", which were apparently Buffalo Nickels carved up by homeless men with sharp knives. Anyway, you can look up examples of all these things, but here are some pics of Will's.



No comments:

Post a Comment