Monday, March 31, 2014

Silver Plated Buckle

  I got out to the beach again after work on Saturday with my friend and fellow treasure hunting enthusiast, Matt Pollis, and swung the beep stick for an hour or so. Found an interesting silver plated lead buckle in my first hole. It's broken, but definitely dates to somewhere in the 1800's to early 1900's and has a laurel design on the face that I am not familiar with. The rest of the hunt was fairly uneventful, producing only an old lead net weight and a seriously punished Indian Head penny. Compare this one with the Indian I found a few days earlier, which had a visible date right out of the ground, and it shows how disparate the conditions of dug coins can be, even when excavated in the same location. Of course, there was also the usual collection of rubbish, bottle caps, and twenty five cents in clad.
  I seriously cannot wait for the ground in this state to thaw...



No comments:

Post a Comment