Thursday, March 20, 2014

Flock of Seagulls (Bird Bands)

  Well, first little beach hunt of the year was cold but enjoyable. I visited a local beach whose rich history I have been researching. I wasn't wearing long johns and it was so cold I almost got back in the truck. The beach turned out to be heavily littered with rusty square nails, which was a good sign. It made for difficult metal detecting, but the T2 did a good job reading between the junk and I pulled out two wheaties in pretty short order. The presence of these two pennies was good evidence that there could be some silver around, and sure enough, I turned up a heavily battered 1902 Barber dime soon thereafter. 
  Also, another rusty pearl handled pocketknife and an interesting bird band. I didn't even know what a bird band was, but I looked it up when I got back to my computer and I ended up on a government website filling out a VERY detailed form. It turns out the band belonged to a Common Eider, born around 2009 and tagged in 2010 on the south tip of Isleboro, and obviously reduced by at least one foot, as the band condition indicates the removal process was not a careful one. Apparently, they are sending me a certificate of appreciation. 
  In the words of Krom, from Metal Detecting Maine, "I think bird bands are a precious find."



No comments:

Post a Comment