Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Things With Holes in Them

Ukko who? That's right. While half of the state was hunkered down in their homes because of snow cancellations, I was metal detecting down at Camden Harbor, freezing my arse off and finding my first large cent of the year. Actually, I only got enough beach at low tide during lunch, so I wasn't out there too long. Also, the finds in these pics are not all from yesterday. The spoon was found a few days ago in Union Common and the gold-plated tie-clip was found in Camden park. I have just been trying to get out and find any thawed ground, any chance I get, and there isn't much of either.
I love finding spoons and it was interesting to find one with a date on it. The tie-clip had me excited, thinking I had found some hunk of gold jewelry, as did the purple jewel button. Also, there was the little piece of a child's ring, with the baseball elephant on it. The coin definitely excited me most of all, however. Of course, there is literally no detail remaining on either side, but I know it's a large copper and over a hundred years old, and it sat buried in muck for most of that time until my E-trac made a noise and I pulled it out with my fingers. From someone else's hand to mine, over a great span of time. That's what gets me. That's what matters.









No comments:

Post a Comment