Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Man Who Mouth Er Fill Wit Pearls

Apparently, the odds of finding a pearl in an oyster are 1 in 12,000. Is it time for me to go to Vegas? I mean, Hollywood Slots is just up the coast, because I just found a pearl. I have been fascinated with the idea of finding a pearl in an oyster ever since my first oyster at age 18. I am pretty certain I think about it every time I swallow one down. And believe it or not, it finally happened. I was at one of my favorite local watering holes, Lobsterman's Restaurant in Rockland, Maine, partaking of their amazing happy-hour dollar oysters, which are brought down from a family oyster farm in Castine and shucked as you order, when lo and behold, I felt the little bugger rolling around on my tongue. It is irregular, as could be expected (I guess) in it's natural state, but an interesting blend of black and white. It was difficult to get a decent picture of, but the shiny spot on the front is just the glare from the flash, not gold. It's not a black and white pearl with gold in it. Is it? Whoa! I am planning on having it polished down and installed in a piece of jewelry for "Her at Home", at You Tube's Deep Digger Dan would put it. Pretty cool, and I'm glad I didn't swallow it. Things could have gotten messy.

Also, really do check out Lobsterman's Restaurant on Main St. in Rockland. The food is great, the atmosphere is soothing, the prices are reasonable (especially during happy hour, which offers dollar Labatt's and dollar oysters), and the owners are awesome. It's definitely a great addition to downtown Rockland.

1 comment: