Monday, March 18, 2013

Lead Bale Seals

I didn't know what it was when I found it. I knew it was made of lead and about an inch in diameter, but that was pretty much it. At a total loss as to identification, I posted it up for my good friends at Metal Detecting Maine, who seem to be able to identify anything. Sure enough, replies started coming in immediately explaining to me that what I had found was a lead bale seal. Oh, of course, thought. But what the hell is a lead bale seal? I consulted Google and was astounded at the fascinating websites about the history, curating, and collecting of lead bale seals. The wonderful Colchester Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting website at www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/baleseals.htm states that, "Bale seals such were single disc seals... and were used to identify textiles, as well as parcels and bales of trade goods. The obverse would typically display a city's arms, and the reverse would record data such as the length or width of fabric or the weight of parcel." The site has a wonderful catalog of seals dating back to medieval times, and the similarities between those and the object found by me in a park in Union, Maine were really quite surprising. Now, obviously, the seal found by me is of a much later date, probably the mid-1800's, and not nearly as rare or valuable as a 7th Century Roman bale seal, but still exciting, nonetheless.
Krom from Metal Detecting Maine told me, "Definitely a grain bag seal," and Kelly, from the same site suggested origins in the Maine Central Railroad, hence the M.C. The number on the rear is either an 85 or a 95.



4 comments:

  1. I have one too. Mine is about 1.5 inch in diameter. MC on one side and 116 on another. The edges are beveled like two bottlecaps put together. Found in Newport ME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any idea what the numbers are for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend who has dug over 60 of these discs that say Agmark and numbers. They are not lead. Were bag seals ever made of other metals? Wish I could add a photo. Deej

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a bunch of these!!! I found em all in the same spot! Ive over 100 from the same spot now

    ReplyDelete