Sunday, April 6, 2014

Primitive Sewing Tool?

  I have had this bone for a few years, and I wasn't sure why I even kept it. I can't even remember where I found it. I want to say North Haven, which would make sense, but I have a hard time believing that a bone would hold up underground for 1000 to 2000 years and still be in such good shape. Anyway, like I said, I had this thing kicking around from bookshelf to bookshelf for awhile, and didn't really give it a serious second glance. Something about it stood out enough to prevent my getting rid of it, though. Yesterday, Ginny and Dave were over and Ginny picks up the bone and says, "Nice sewing bone."
  "What did you say?" I asked.
  "Sewing bone," she said. "I think this is a Native American tool used for repairing nets and whatnot. See the groove carved around the end? That's not natural."
  I stared dumbfounded. She was absolutely right. I couldn't believe I hadn't noticed before. I got online and compared it to pics of primitive tools, and sure enough, it matches up. Obviously, I can't be certain of its origin without some outside expertise, but meanwhile, I know it's more than just a bone.





2 comments:

  1. So cool! Do you have an idea of what tribe it might have come from?

    ReplyDelete