Friday, April 25, 2014

Prehistoric Moose Monster

  My good friend and bartender Jimmy, aka, James Edward, has lately been doing some beachcombing in Lincolnville, while his gigantic Mastiff, Wally, digs fresh clams and chases seagulls up and down the shore. The other day he came into work with this mysterious large white object he found in the sand. "It's some kind of giant tooth," he said. "And I'd hate to see the inside of the mouth it came out of." Indeed, it looked like a tooth and was frighteningly enormous. I suspected it was ossified, as it was extremely heavy, but Tim Whittier, who is generally right about anything having to do with minerals, gems and fossils, said it was not fossilized at all.
  "It's a moose tooth," he said. I looked at the object in Jimmy's hand and shook my head in awe. Somewhere in Maine there's a big old moose walking around with a gap toothed smile, I guess.



No comments:

Post a Comment