Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Bottomless Park

  The park continues to give up the old goods. I am literally only covering about twenty square feet of ground on every hunt. Apparently, the large county fairs were held there in the mid-1800's. It's funny, in any other state metal-detectorists would have picked that place clean years ago. I picked out a few more heavily worn Indian head pennies; an 1878 and an unreadable date.
  I found this great little three-and-a-half inch brass pocketknife. After cleaning I could make out the words "W-ville co. Waterbury." It turns out that this was a pre-Civil War pocketknife made by the Waterville company out of Connecticut. I may try to soak it in oil for a few weeks and see if I can bring it back to life.
  Also, there was a rusty ring, a gold-plated costume ring, a small brass buckle (probably a shoe buckle), and a few tiny brass buttons.

1 comment:

  1. i found the exact same knife today detecting near an old school. have you found anything else out about it?

    ReplyDelete