Monday, March 14, 2011

Back To The Park

  I returned to the park where I found the wheat penny yesterday morning. I was fairly depressed, the sky gray and drizzling, on my way to work on a Sunday, and I just needed some time to sit with my feelings before encountering any other humans. The park was quiet, but for the occasional musical forays of the downtown church bells and I plodded along with my metal detector in the shadow of the Civil War monument that watches over the park. Someone stopped and pointed out that the Union military statues are always facing south, just in case.
   The ground was fully thawed and the digging was easy. I left a while later with 1.07 in clad coinage, an unreadable wheat penny, an 1864 Indian Head penny, a costume ring, a heavily corroded belt buckle, a deeply buried fishing weight, and a beautiful brass skeleton key. It didn't solve my problems, but it took my mind off of them for an hour or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment