Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Mystery of Mercury Cove

Well, it was low tide yesterday at lunch time and instead of going to the store with the guys, I decided to skip down to the beach where I found last week's Mercury dime. I prowled around for a half an hour or so and didn't come up with much: an old steel button (probably off a pair of hundred year old jeans), a small lead fishing weight (I always think it's gold), and a bunch of rubbish. I saws my lunch was running out and knew I had to get back to the stone work, but I really wanted to find something good first. I detected my way to the edge of the beach and up onto the trail leading through the woods to the job site, where I was surprised to find the ground had thawed in the recent 40 degree temps. I swung the coil around the mouth of the path and got a strong signal in the silver range, a 12-10 I think. Sure enough, out pops this little silver 1917 dime and I was skipping back to lunch, happy as a Mercury Cove clam.
As I said, this is the second Merc I have found at this beach, which is surprising when you see the beach. I mean, it's not even accessible without scaling down the side of a mountain through the woods, and is only a visible patch of rocky sand about 20 feet by 20 feet at low tide. But I guess someone was going there in the early 1900's, throwing silver dimes into the sea...






No comments:

Post a Comment