Friday, June 3, 2011

Sea Dolls

   I ran into my friend Carole Lambert, our local sea glass expert extraordinaire, the other day and it got me thinking about my sea doll parts, so I thought I would post a photo. Carole turned me on to these wonderful little treasures a few years ago with her beautiful book "The Sea Glass Chronicles".  Apparently, in the 1800's, these ships would sink off the coast freighted with porcelain dolls and pieces still wash up on certain beaches, not to mention the broken dolls that just got deep-sixed with the daily rubbish. Carole has a few great books on the subject of sea glass and has just started up a new website.  http://www.shipwreckink.com/?page_id=8.
  Anyway, I immediately became fixated--as I am wont to do--on the idea of finding doll parts on beaches. Our good friend (and talented musician-http://www.julianegardner.net/) Juliane Gardener told me she finds dolls parts on the beach in Castine and even brought me a doll foot, so I high-tailed it up there with Laura and found a wonderful porcelain sea-ear within minutes of searching. I was hooked.  I have found a few others since and here they are. Except for the foot, which is the one Julie gave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment