Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Them Thar Gold Butterns

  Found this little beauty back at that great Camden site where I found that Maine Militia Civil War button last year. This one is worn and flat on the face, but the rear is remarkably bright with gold and the loop is still intact. It actually predates the Civil War, as Leavenworth and Kendrick were making buttons--and clocks--in Waterbury, Connecticut--where both my father and brother were born--sometime between 1820 and 1845. There were some other nice finds, but I have been working twelve hour days in Cape Elizabeth, driving back and forth two hours each way, or staying in bad motels with no internet, so I haven't had time to even clean them, never mind post pics. But tonight I'm in Old Orchard Beach, and I'm pretty sure it's not safe to go outside, so I could at least post this before I fall exhausted and sunburned into bed with my tattered copy of Roberto Bolano's 2666 I've decided to re-read the "Archimboldi" chapter. If you don't know what I'm talking about, figure it out, or ask me. You won't regret it.


1 comment: