Saturday, May 10, 2014

Silver and Gold, Silver and Gold

  It was a busy week, but all my brief evening hunts added up to a nice little lot of booty. It started out with a visit to my favorite Camden cellar hole, where I found a fine copper 19th Century thimble, followed by the discovery of a matching child's thimble. This made me as happy as finding anything of obvious monetary value. Reuniting a mother and daughter possibly, 150 or 200 years after their earthly fires were extinguished. 
  The decorative copper Victorian jewelry piece with the woman's profile tossed around in my pocket for days and I would look at it intermittently, able to distinguish only vague intertwining vines and maybe some flower petals. It wasn't until this morning, when I cleaned it with a toothbrush, that the profile of a beautiful woman's face appeared before my eyes. I never cease to be impressed and amazed by that precious Victorian jewelry.
  Then the silver popped out into my palm! Hallelujah! Only my second piece of the year, and a gorgeous rare 1855 seated Liberty dime, a coin worth as much as 1000$ in very good condition. And this could only be topped by my first gold of the year! And honestly the first solid gold ring I have ever found. A big solid 10 karat gold vintage Elks Club ring inset with a purplish cut gem that I can only assume is an amethyst. I'll have to show it to Mr. Tim Whittier and get his opinion. I have to confess that the emotional surge I felt as I cleared the dirt away from that shining yellow metal was comparable to any I have experienced during those peak moments in I my life that are supposed to rank at the pinnacle of ecstatic joy. Exciting, indeed.
  Also, came up with a really battered, maybe beer battered, wheat penny and a fine clunky musket ball. 








No comments:

Post a Comment