Saturday, February 26, 2011

Saturday Morning Hunt




I was going to go to the gym this morning, but decided to hit the beach instead. The sun was shining and despite the foot of snow we got yesterday, the tide was out and the shore exposed. I came out with four heavily worn wheat pennies, the dates unreadable on all; an nineteenth century copper bottle stopper; a heavy little one-inch steel decorative pull of some sort; 84 cents in looses change (which brings this year's total to 2.49); and an arrowhead, which I spotted while digging up my last penny.
I was really surprised and excited to find the arrowhead. I know the Maine coast has a rich Native American history and that Camden in particular was heavily populated, but I have never found a point outside of my North Haven finds last summer. It's in rough shape and I have never seen one in this kind of white stone, but it is undoubtably a hand-worked tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment